Monday, August 30, 2010

Up before the Sun




"She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls." ~ Proverbs 31:15

For the past two years, due to my husband's early work schedule, I have been getting up before the sun. It was very difficult at first but I must admit that I've started to enjoy the early mornings. I've discovered that this is such a peaceful, quiet time, free from all distractions and noisy neighbors. It is a perfect time to sit in quiet meditation, reading and praying.

Getting up early allows me to get a good start on the day as I can accomplish so much before 6am. On days I have slept in, I feel as if I have accomplished very little because part of my day is already gone. I would much rather get up and take care of the tasks which demand my attention and diligence.

In Mark 1:35 we read that Jesus got up early to pray "And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed"

David was also in the habit of early morning prayer: "In the morning shall my prayer come before thee" ~ Psalm 88:13


As we read in Proverbs 31:15, the virtuous woman is diligent and knows the benefit of rising early. She is not idle or lazy and her main priority is to care for everyone in her home. Not only does the Virtuous woman rise early to provide for her family, she also provides for her servants.

Servants? Wouldn't it be nice to have them? What this scripture is trying to emphasize is that she does not lie in bed just waiting for others to serve her. She takes initiative, is dedicated, disciplined, has strong work ethics and is very organized. She is the manager of her home and is in charge of planning and delegating in order for everyone to have an effective, productive day.

Getting up "while it is still dark" is not the easiest thing to do. It is clear that the virtuous woman walks with God and her discipline is a result of her love for God and others.

"We cannot do anything apart from the love of Christ." 1 Cor. 13:1-3





HOW TO GET UP BEFORE THE SUN

* Don’t make any drastic changes. Start slowly, by waking up just 15 minutes earlier than usual. Get used to this for a few days. Then cut back another 15 minutes. Do this gradually until you reach your goal time.

* Perhaps you are used to staying up late watching TV or on Facebook like me; I suggest going to bed earlier and if you are having trouble falling asleep, read while in bed. If you are really tired, you might fall asleep much sooner than you think.

* Place your alarm clock far away from your bed. If it’s next to your bed, you’ll just shut it off or hit snooze button. If the alarm clock is far from your bed, you will have to get up out of bed to shut it off. Just don't go back to bed.


* Reward Yourself. You might be forcing yourself to do something very difficult by getting up so early. So why not make it pleasurable with a cup of coffee or tea while you read or meditate.

* Take advantage of all the extra time. Don’t wake up early to just waste time. Get a jump start on your day! I like to use that time to get a head start on preparing my husband's breakfast and lunch. As soon as he leaves for work, I read my emails, check my Facebook and plan the rest of my day. By the time 6am rolls around, I’ve done more than most people do in one day.



"Go to the ant, consider its ways and be wise!It has no commander,no overseer or ruler,yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there? When will you get up from your sleep?" ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

3 comments:

Jess said...

Good reminder of how laziness can be destructive in a marriage. Thank you again for another great blog. Many Blessings to you.

Girl4GSUS said...

Praise Jesus for His supernatural energy and strength that can only come from Him. I was tripping out because today of all days "August 31st" I did wake up while it was still dark outside. I got into Gods word; by reading todays Proverb, hence: The Proverbs 31 Woman... I dont' think it was a coincedance at all. Perfect timing to give God all the Glory for His energy & allowing me to fix my hubbys lunch, kids breakfast & most importantly to have my intimate time with Him.

Anonymous said...

Very encouraging. I used to get up at 5:30am to get his breakfast and lunch ready but then he baby came and I suffer from lack of sleep. So i pack his lunch the night before and sadly gets no bfast. I pray God gives me the strenght to start up again..
thanks for your blogs! very convicting and encouraging!
norma gurrola