Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Father's Peace...




"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus" Phil. 4:7

This past Sunday, I took my dad out to lunch for Father's Day. Time with my dad is always a great experience. He can brighten up any room with his great big smile. Nothing seems to embarrass him and there is something about my dad's personality that is so contagious and wonderfully humorous. He can make any waiter/waitress provide the best service and have them looking forward to his next visit. Watching him and listening to him speak about his recent adventures inspired me for this week's blog on the third Fruit of the Spirit, Peace.



In my dad's 66 years of life, he has experienced many situations where most of us would have probably fallen apart. Through several divorces, financial troubles, and recent health issues, he still carries around the biggest smile I've ever seen, he doesn't complain and just accepts situations for what they are. I have always admired him for his strength, his humor and most of all, his peace in the midst of serious trials.He's very positive, influential, and can make anyone laugh. If you've ever met my dad you would know what I'm talking about.

Even though he has never been a religious man he has always lived by what some call the "Golden Rule";"In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you" Mat. 7:12

I would like to think that I've inherited some of my dad's attributes such as his strength, his positive attitude and his sense of humor. I can also say that have learned to experience peace in the midst of trials. However, it's not a peace inherited from my earthly father, but a peace that can only come from knowing God, my Heavenly Father. It's a kind of peace which allows me to completely surrender everything to God and allow Him to do His will in my life. There is no real peace apart from knowing Him.

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." ~ John 14:27

Nothing is more beautiful than this peace. It's a peace that surpasses all understanding, the kind of peace that people see in us, especially when we display it through our trials. The kind of peace we can attain when we’re rejected, when we’re persecuted, when everything is extremely chaotic around us.

"Peace comes in situations that are completely surrendered to the sovereign authority of Christ. When we finally give up trying to discover all the whys and just decide to trust Him, unexpected peace washes over us like a summer rain."
~Beth Moore~

The following poem by an anonymous author gives a great description of God's peace.


My Father's Peace

And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and
your minds in Christ Jesus.
My Father's peace,
which the human mind
cannot comprehend, will
guard your hearts and your minds
in my ways.
Truer peace and love,
you will never find.
My Father's peace,
will help you persevere through
your daily trials.
It's through my Father's peace,
that I was guided,
while I was on earth teaching,
His ways.
You have been given power,
and authority to over come all
worldly things.

Ephesians 3: 16-19
"I pray that out of his glorious
riches he may strengthen you with
power through his Spirit in your
inner being,
so that Christ may dwell
in your hearts through faith.
And I pray that you, being
rooted and established in love,
may have power, together with
all the saints, to grasp how wide
and long and high and deep
is the love of Christ,
And to know this love
that surpasses knowledge -
that you may be filled to the
measure of all the fullness
of God."

My Father's peace,
gives you immeasurable strength.
My Father freely gives,
His peace to everyone.
Just believe in me, Jesus Christ,
your creator's Son.

Colossians 3: 15-17
"Let the peace of Christ
rule in your hearts, since
as members of one body
you were called to peace.
And be thankful.
Let the word of Christ
dwell in you richly as you
teach and admonish
one another with all wisdom,
and as you sing psalms, hymns
and spiritual songs with
gratitude in your hearts to God.
And whatever you do,
whether in word or deed,
do it all in the name of
the Lord Jesus, giving thanks
to God the Father through him."

Let my Father's peace
rule in your hearts in all
things.

8 comments:

Girl4GSUS said...

Thank you for sharing how wonderful your Dad is & how you have gain some of his attributes; one of them being peace. I have met your Dad briefly but he does seem really cool & laid back. May God continue to give him many more years to live & make others laugh ♥ Love you my SisterindaLordnfriend.

Laura said...

Thank you for posting this blog, it makes me want to spend more time with my father, he lives in Venezuela and I rarely get to see him. I enjoy reading your blogs every week and look forward to the next fruit you will share. God bless you my friend.

PS. 37:4 ~ said...

Thank you Liz and Laura, your comments mean a lot to me. Laura I will pray that you may be able to see your dad soon. Come back next week for for a serving of "Patience". God Bless You Both. Much Love, Paty

Anonymous said...

your dad is certaily awesome! Many people do not appreciate their father while many of us long to hold our dads just one more time... But our heavenly Father certainly provides foa all our needs

now lets see if it posts this time :)

PS. 37:4 ~ said...

Yes, it did post : ) I set up my comments to be reviewed by me first before they post, that's probably why you didn't think it posted. Thanks for your comment, Amen! we can always depend on our heavenly father to meet every need and to hold us and love us when we need Him.

Unknown said...

Awww, this was good! I can't imagine having to go through life's trials without the peace of God. I've become dependant on it and find myself running like a little kid to Daddy for His comfort & peace. Thanks SOOO much for your blog! <3 you! ; )

Maria Sanchez said...

My mom and your dad share the same smile and outlook on life... we are blessed to have them in our lives. The Lord's peace so awesome to have it to face the world we live in today.

Nine Servings of Fruit ~~~ said...

Maria; I hope I get to see your mom soon.. tell her "hi" for me and give a big hug too. They must have inherited their qualities from our grandfather Lencho,I had the chance to meet him, he was a very distinguished man. Yes, indeed, we are truly blessed to have God's peace. God bless you prima♥