Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Generous Spirit


"She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy." ~ Prov. 31:20

This quality of the Virtuous Woman is manifested by her unselfishness and desire to live for others. She cares for not only the people in her home, but also her neighbors and relatives. She shows an interest in her community and uplifts everyone with her kindness and encouragement. She gives others a sense of emotional and spiritual security.
 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Phil. 2:3-4

Her skills have earned her a very profitable income which she is willing to share with the poor and needy because she knows her income is a blessing from God.

The Virtuous Woman is a giver and interested in charity. She takes the time to care for the poor and needy in her life. She cares for the less fortunate, makes sure all of their needs are met and is interested in volunteering in many worthy causes.
If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,”  without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? ~ James 2:15-16


A woman I always admired was Princess Diana. She was one of the most popular royal figures of Britain's history and known for her generosity.



Princess Diana of Wales was a humanitarian who used her position, power and charismatic personality to give financial and emotional support to the victims of poverty, disease and drug abuse. She was also known as mini Mother Teresa of Britain.

Princess Diana helped people in several ways. Throughout her life she was very active in supporting and financing many charitable organizations. She helped underprivileged children, and drug abuse and AIDS victims. She also championed the AIDS awareness campaign. In 1987, she shocked the whole world by publicly shaking hand with an AIDS victim. By doing so, she showed to the world that AIDS victims need compassion and kindness. It helped change the world’s opinion regarding AIDS. She also used to undertake surprise visits to hospitals and mental asylums. She possessed a rare ability to make people happy by just holding their hands and hugging them.

Princess Diana played significant role in international campaign against use of anti-personnel landmine. Thus, making the world a safer place to live in. In fact, she had influenced the signing of Ottawa Treaty, which put an international ban on stockpiling, production and use of anti-personnel landmine. The international anti-landmine banning campaign for which Diana had worked for also won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997.

Princess Diana was associated with many fund raising charitable organization. Many charitable organizations raised substantial amounts of money by just one appearance of the royal Princess. She was the Vice President of the British Red Cross Society and served as a member of the International Red Cross advisory board. She was also the patron of the British Deaf Association.


"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't consider myself a generous person. I fear I don't have much to offer others. But I can volunteer my time... didn't think about that until I read your post. This is confirmation for me that the road I though of takin is certainly the road God wants me to travel. Thank you

Amy Sands said...

I never knew Princess Diana did so much for this world. Thank you for sharing this. May God continue to bless your work. ... Amy

PS. 37:4 ~ said...

Dear Anonymous, May God continue to guide you and show you how to use time wisely. God bless you my friend.

Amy; I learned a few things about her too when I was reading her Bio. I always knew she was like a Mother Teresa, but what a phenomenonal and inspiring woman she was. Thank you for reading my blog. (I'm just curious, which source did you read my blog from?..ie; Facebook, Latina Magazine, E Blogger, Word Press, or Blogs by Latinas?)

Julie said...

Another great blog. Great bio on Princes Diana. This motivates me to do more with my extra time. Have a blessed day.

Amy Sands said...

Yes, I read your post on Latina Lounge, you have posted some great blogs. The magazine needs more inspirational blogs like this one. I don't have a blog yet, but i was thinking of a Christian Movie blog. I would love your input... Amy

Karen and Gerard said...

Found you through Entrecard this morning and am now a follower!

Have your read One Simple Act--power of generosity by Debbie Macomber? Think you would like it. Here's a link to my review of it: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-simple-act-by-debbie-macomber.html

Girl4GSUS said...

Thank you for this beautiful blog. I strive in being a Proverbs 31 woman daily. Its hard, but I seek the Holy Spirit daily to guide me.
Love you!

PS. 37:4 ~ said...

Hi Karen; Thank You for becoming a follower of my blog. I plan to look for that book "One Simple Act" the next I take a trip to the local Christian book store. Thanks for letting me know about it.
~~~
Liz; Amen Sis..let's continue to seek the Holy Spirit everyday b/c we know that without God we can do nothing. Love you sis.