Monday, July 05, 2010

"Acts of Kindness"





What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? ~James 2:14-16


Many years ago, while in college, I found myself completely broke with not even enough money to buy Top Ramen or Mac 'n Cheese. I wouldn't get my financial aid check for a couple of weeks and home was 400 miles away. When I returned from class one morning, my roommate told me that she bought enough groceries for the both of us and she invited me to go with her to stay with her parents on the weekends, they only lived 45 minutes away. We developed a beautiful friendship and I will never forget what she did for me. A simple act of kindness and love had such a lasting impact on me.


"For if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" ~Matthew 5:46

The following is a true story I read in "Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul"

One night at 11:30, an older African-American woman was standing on the side of an Alabama highway trying to endure a lashing rain storm. Her car had broken down and she desperately needed a ride. Soaking wet, she decided to flag down the next car. A young white man stopped to help her -- generally unheard of in the deep South during those conflict-filled 1960s. The man took her to safety, helped her get assistance and put her into a taxi cab. She seemed to be a big hurry! She wrote down his address, thanked him and rode away.

Seven days went by and a knock came on the man's door. to his surprise, a giant combination console color TV and stereo record player were delivered to his home.

A special note was attached. The note read:

Dear Mr. James:

Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway the other night. The rain drenched not only my clothes but my spirits. Then you came along. Because of you, I was able to make it to my dying husband's bedside just before he passed away. God bless you for helping me and unselfishly serving others.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Nat King Cole

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." ~Heb. 13:2



"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." ~Phil 2:3

The Story of the Good Samaritan

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and 'your neighbor as yourself.' " And Jesus said to his disciple, "You have answered rightly; do this and you will live." But his disciple, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor? "A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.' So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?" And he said, "He who showed mercy on him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise." ~ Luke 10:30-38

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At one point I owed money to a "brother in the Lord." While I tried to raise money for my son's mission trip, this brother called me to tell me he was resentful that i was raising all this money and yet i had not paid him what was owed to him. I diligently cleaned this man's house without groaning and complaining but joyfully cleaned because this brother had helped me.. After his call I felt like a thief, hopeless and ashamed... then a sister came along and comforted me and paid my debt. i will not mention her name because I want her reward to come from our father from above... But i will never forget her love for me. If she ever reads this... I LOVE YOU!

PS. 37:4 ~ said...

Thank you for sharing your story, I will pray that the Lord Blesses your friend abundantly for such a selfless act of kindness. Have a Wonderful day.